- Raw mangoes 500 gms.
- Fenugreek seeds 3 tbsp.
- Fennel seeds 4 tbsp.
- Red chili powder 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder 2 tsp.
- Mustard seeds 3 tbsp.
- Mustard oil 350 mls.
- Salt As per taste
- Cut raw mangoes into half, remove seed and then cut ¾th inch sized
- Apply turmeric powder and salt, rub nicely and then keep it for half an hour. Drain out excess moisture.
- Grind fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and mustard seeds to a coarse powder.
- Heat mustard oil until smoking point, remove and let it cool.
- Mix fenugreek seeds, fennel and mustard powder with red chili powder.
- Add half of the mustard oil to this mixture and rub this spice and oil mixture
- to the mango pieces. Mix thoroughly.
- Put this into an earthenware jar and pour the remaining mustard oil.
- Cover the jar with a muslin cloth and keep it in the sun for 5-6 days.
- Make sure you stir the contents o f the jar for the first two weeks at least once a day. This is to ensure that the mango pieces are always in contact with the oil.
Note: In most of the Indian pickles, salt and oil are used as preservatives.