Looking for a quick side dish that’s different and delicious? When you’re in the mood for a new twist on the usual steamed broccoli, give this salad a try. The rough crunchy texture of the broccoli and almonds combined with the smooth creaminess of the avocado create a tasty contrast per forkful.
Avocados are a good source of both heart-healthy monounsaturated fats (known to lower blood cholesterol) and vitamin E, a powerful anti-aging antioxidant.
Both avocados and broccoli contain lutein – a nutrient from the carotenoid family of chemicals that contain pigments. Lutein is one of the primary yellow pigments found in the central part of the retina (macula) that absorbs harmful components of sunlight. Both lutein and zeaxanthin have been found to help protect against eye diseases, such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration (AMD), AMD is the leading cause of blindness in the elderly.
One serving (1 1/4 cup) of this salad contains a whopping 4.5 mg of lutein which nearly meets the 6 mg that is recommended per day by leading physicians.
Print the Shopping List – Broccoli Almond Salad with Avocado
1. Trim, wash, and cut into bite-sized pieces:
- 1 lb. broccoli crowns (include stems)
2. Steam broccoli until crunchy-tender and bright green. Let cool.
3. Pit, peel, and cut flesh into small cubes:
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado
4. Chop into small pieces:
- 2 Tbsp. raw almonds
5. Fold avocado and almond bits into the broccoli in a medium-size bowl.
6. Whisk together in a small bowl until well mixed (dressing):
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
7. Toss broccoli, avocado, and almonds with the dressing. (You may not need all of the dressing.)
Makes 4 servings.
Eat and enjoy!