Apart from the usual over-the-counter medicines containing Simethicone, there are various natural home remedies on how to get rid of gas pains. These abdominal pains are sharp and tend to move quickly from one location to another.
Other symptoms associated with this problem are back pain, chest pain, stomach cramps, belching, flatulence and bloating. It is commonly caused by high-fiber and starchy foods.
Swallowing air, for instance, while chewing gum, drinking with the help of a straw, or during nervousness, etc. may cause the same.
Besides, food intolerance, stress, overeating, certain diseases (ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, and so on), antibiotic medications also give rise to gas in the stomach.
How to get rid of gas pains naturally
- • Drink a pint of celery juice to reduce gas pains naturally. It also eliminates bloating and flatulence.
- • Taking activated charcoal tabletsbefore and after meals has been found helpful in healing gas pains. You can try probiotic supplements as well.
- • Drinking a glass of lukewarm water mixed with two teaspoons of baking sodais the simplest home remedy to cure gas and hence get rid of gas pains.
- • Simply eating coriander seedsis valuable in healing gas pain and irritation in the gastrointestinal tract.
- • When dealing with gas pain in the chest, have a glass of buttermilk mixed with a pinch of asafetida. You can eat plain yogurt, too.
- • Consuming some fresh ginger slices soaked in lime juiceis useful in relieving gas pain.
- • Massaging the abdominal area with fennel oilhelps in the natural treatment of gas pains and bloating.
- • Drink a decoction prepared by boiling half a teaspoon of bay leaves in a cup of boiling water to cure gas pains fast. Similarly, an infusion of blanched lemon verbena leaves is beneficial in relieving gasand gas pain.
- • Certain exercisesare useful for expelling gas. For instance, you can lie on the back, keep your legs straight, and leave your arms by your side. Then, lift both the legs, bend the knees and keep your thighs perpendicular to the ground. Finally, move your legs as though you are cycling. Follow this therapy for about 15 minutes.Another easy exercise involves taking deep breaths (inhaling through nose, exhaling through mouth) while keeping your hands raised over your head. Repeat the procedure 10 times. Performing squatswithout weights also considered good for easing gas pain.Here’s a video showing a technique on how to get rid of gas pain in the stomach due to digestive distress.
- • Having herbal teas like those prepared from chamomile, fennel, basil, anise, ginger, peppermint, thyme, etc. are highly beneficial in getting rid of gas pains. Simply taking a sip of hot water is also useful in soothing gas pains.
How to prevent intestinal gas
- • Reduce the consumption of fatty and starchy foods. Plus, do not eat large amounts of beans, peas, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, apples, pears, prunes, milk (lactose intolerance), and other similar foods. Foods high in soluble fiber give rise to gassiness.
- • Do not drink fluids with meals.
- • Do not eat in a hurry. After having a meal, relax (but do not lie down) for about 5-10 minutes.
- • Go for walks after meals
- • Stop smoking (while smoking, you swallow air, too)
- • When enjoying a beverage, avoid using a straw
- • Limit the consumption of sugar-free gums and candies because they contain sorbitol which contributes in causing gas
If you are looking for suggestions on how to get rid of gas pains in infants then you can gently massage the baby’s abdomen downwards to relieve gas.
Gripe water also works wonders in curing baby gas. Besides, while feeding, make sure you give the baby enough time to burp in order to remove excess air.