Have you ever thought of using olive oil for hair growth? If the answer to this question is no, this article will give you the advantages of using olive oil for hair growth and also the ways in which you can use it.
In today’s world, styling one’s hair with hair curlers, straighteners, colors, etc. has become a fashion statement. Though changing hair styles and using hair colors makes one feel stylish and chic, these hair styling products contain chemicals which are likely to degrade the quality of hair in long run. It is recommended that, while you indulge in experimenting with hair styles, it is important to take good care of the hair to stimulate healthy hair growth and for this, the best method is the natural method. Though there are several natural methods which one can use for maintaining healthy hair, olive oil for hair growth is said to be one of the best ways to promote growth of hair.
Is Olive Oil Good for Hair Growth?
Olive oil is used for cooking purposes all over the world because of the various health benefits that it offers. However, not many people know that there is a link between olive oil and hair growth. While it is said to be good for treating several skin ailments, olive oil is said to be the best cure for hair loss. There are several benefits of using olive oil for hair growth which are as follows:
- One of the best advantages of using olive oil for hair is that it helps in preventing as well as curing hair loss. Most people have hair loss because of the presence of a hormone called DTH which causes the hair follicle shaft to decrease. Applying olive oil to hair prevents the production of DTH hormones on the scalp, thus getting rid of the problem of hair loss.
- The presence of antioxidants in olive oil makes it an appropriate hair oil that promotes overall scalp health. The hair damage caused due to excessive use of chemical based hair products can be treated with the help of olive oil, thus giving room for growth of healthy hair.
- Apart from the fact that olive oil is an effective treatment for hair loss, it also acts as a natural conditioner for hair. In other words, applying olive oil on hair makes it shiny and soft.
- The antifungal and antibacterial properties of olive oil is a great way to get rid of problems like dandruff and head lice. Moreover, massaging your hair with a mixture of olive oil and lavender oil is very relaxing and acts as a great stress buster.
Olive Oil Hair Treatment
The best way of using olive oil for hair growth is by simply massaging your hair with it. Take half a cup of olive oil and mix some other type of oil with it, preferably coconut, sesame or castor oil. Pour some oil on your hair and massage gently with your fingertips on the scalp, gently moving downwards to the tips of the hair. Once this is done, cover your hair with a shower cap or may be a warm towel. After 30 minutes, wash your hair with a good shampoo and conditioner. Apart from the regular olive oil treatment, there are several other ways in which you can apply olive oil to your hair. There are a few olive oil hair treatmentrecipes that you can easily try at home. Some of them are:
- One way is to make a paste by mixing olive oil with cinnamon and honey. First, you have to heat the olive oil and then add some honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it. Stir well to make a paste and then apply it to your hair. Leave it on your hair for fifteen minutes and then rinse it off with a shampoo.
- You can also make a conditioner with olive oil. Take ½ a cup of olive oil in a bowl and combine it with an egg yolk and some drops of lemon juice. Mix well and apply it on your hair. Allow the conditioner to stay on your hair for 15 minutes and then, rinse it off.
As you now know the benefits of using olive oil for hair growth, I hope that you will start using olive oil on a regular basis. One thing you have to remember is, there are different types of olive oil available in the market including extra virgin, virgin, pure and extra light. Among these types of olive oil, it is always best to choose extra virgin or virgin oil for hair treatment as the other two are made through chemical processing and some concentration of chemicals in them.