Hormones are chemical messengers of the body that secreted by the body’s endocrine system in the blood stream and balanced by the various glands. Hormones have their specific functions in the body so imbalance of them may have negative impact on the body. In the bloodstream, the hormones secretion can be affected, positively or negatively, by temperature, light, mental state, nutrient levels, and other hormones. Nutrition can help to balance the hormones in the body and to reduce symptoms of imbalance. A research has found that an imbalance in female hormones progesterone and estrogen is as a result of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Gain knowledge about foods which help to balance your hormones naturally with daily diet.
Due to hormonal imbalance, many women find themselves experiencing a wide range of health problems such as migraines, PMS, mood swings, irregular and heavy periods, fibrocystic breast disease, uterine fibroids, vaginal dryness, water retention, osteoporosis, disinterest in sex, bloating, infertility and confusion. Hormonal imbalance in male can cause PMS-like mood swings, erectile dysfunction, loss of muscle strength, breast growth, prostate enlargement, low sperm count, insomnia, hair loss and emotional volatility. The very first step to balance the hormonal problems is to begin eating better. Consumption of a well-balanced diet full of organic, vegetables and fresh fruits is the finest way to keep the levels of hormone in balance.
- An adaptogen, Maca is good source of the building blocks which are essential to make any steroidal hormone. Maca is helpful to balance the hypothalamus & other endocrine glands, balancing both male and female hormonal levels. It relieves the symptoms of menopause. It may effectively help couples who are experiencing infertility because of hormonal imbalances.
- Go for green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, kale, collards, cabbage, mustard greens, brussels sprouts and turnip greens as they provide a wide range of nutrients that are essential to maintain proper hormone balance. They also give taste and variety to your dish. You can vary your choices through different seasons.
- Hemp is a good source of essential fatty acids, linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid, which are needed by the human body so as to maintain hormonal balance.
- Watercress is fully packed with antioxidants. It is an excellent source of vitamin E that helps to regain hormone balance. Daily drink one tablespoon of watercress juice or you can add a few fresh sprigs of it to a salad.
- Raw and fermented Kombucha tea is an excellent source of antioxidants and active enzymes. In the body, it supports alkalinity which helps to restore natural hormone balance in the body. As well, it will help to detoxify and strengthen the glandular and immune systems of the body.
- Garlic has powerful antioxidant property that helps to inhibit the growth of cancer by washing out cells of carcinogens. It improves thyroid function and also cleans the lymph system; all have function to balance the endocrine system.
Whatever you consume or drink, try to make unprocessed foods as the center of your diet. Ensure that you are getting sufficient amount of essential fatty acids (EFAs) in the form of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids from shellfish, fish, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and leafy green vegetables. Hormones are made up of cholesterol so if you don’t consume sufficient cholesterol, then your body can’t produce hormones.
For naturally balancing hormones, use food. Essential fatty acids help to balance the prostaglandin hormones. Traditional fats are good fats that include butter, egg yolks, cream, coconut milk, whole milk, lard, coconut oil, palm oil, beef tallow, and olive oil. Canola oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil, vegetable oil and any hydrogenated oils are included in bad fats that you should avoid. Also consume five servings of vegetables and fresh fruits daily including berries, citrus fruits, and leafy vegetables.
Eat seeds, whole grains, nuts, and fish like tuna or salmon. Good quality green tea contains catechins in good amount and raises the production of detoxification enzymes in the body. Try to find herbal teas with ingredients like licorice root, dong quai, juniper berry and dandelion root, which promote hormonal balance. You can also take supplements of vitamins and minerals if you have difficulty to take fruits and vegetables in your diet. Detoxifying your body and reducing weight also benefit hormone balance, as toxins and excess estrogen are stored in fat cells.