Total Body Workout Routines For Men And Women
Let me tell you how I went from training 6 times a week to just 3 times and why total body workouts is the training method that allowed me to do so.
But first, let me say that I did see results when I trained nearly every day. I lost weight, burned body fat, and gained muscle mass. However, I also became a gym slave and I was rapidly losing interest in my workouts.
How did I get to the point where I was training so often?
I used to do split training workouts in which I trained 3 muscle groups during each strength workout and squeezed in two long cardio workouts per week as well. I was spending about 9-10 hours each week in the gym.
Crazy and not-sustainable (keep in mind that I was single at the time).
Why I Did It and Why I Stopped
The reason why I used to train this way is that this was what I was taught. I was told that I needed to let my muscles rest for a day or two between each workout. So, I could do a chest-triceps-shoulders workout on Sunday, a back-biceps-legs session on Monday, a cardio workout on Tuesday, and go back to the beginning of the cycle on Wednesday.
The problems were:
- It was taking me a whole lot of time.
- It was getting boring because I couldn’t do complex exercises as various parts of my body were always “resting”.
- My improvement stalled.
I then learned that I could train differently, save time, and get even faster fat loss results. The technique is Total Body Workouts.
When you do a total body workout, you train your entire body (or nearly all of it) during each session. What this forces you to do is:
- Train less times per week (because your muscles still need their rest time).
- Do less exercises per body part. This keeps the workout short and allows you to place a greater load during each set.
- You need to do complex, full body exercises in order to target all of your body.
The beauty of this method is that your body is actually working harder due to the complex exercises, you’re able to achieve a better fat loss effect, and you save a lot of time.
An added benefit is that your workouts become much more interesting. Instead of being forced to repeat the same exercises over and over again, you can now do a variety of exercise combos that train your body in new ways.
How I Train Today
Today I do 3 – 4 home workouts each week (usually 3) and I train my entire body from head to toe. I do a variety of exercises that include jumps, combos, bodyweight exercises, dumbbell exercises, and I even do towel exercises (which are surprisingly effective).
I try to spice my workouts with some new exercises which I get from a number of friends and fitness experts like Kareem Samhouri and Craig Ballantyne. I do multi-jointed exercises that train a number of muscle groups together and I try to challenge myself with each workout. I also train in circuits to increase the intensity even further and to save more time.
The result is that I’m continuing to tone my body, burn body fat, and I do it in less than half the total workout time that I used to spend in the past.
Total Body Workout For Women and Men
Before I give you a number of total body workout routines that you can do, let me just say that this works for women and men. It works whether you want to focus on fat burning, add some muscle to your body, or both. It may not be right for bodybuilders who only want to get as big as possible, but for people who just want to look and feel their best, this works.
Total Body Workout Routines
Here are a number of routines that you can do. Remember, this is for men and women both. Also, note that each workout must begin with a warm up.
- 25 jump squats.
- Standing DB back rows (you can do two handed or single handed).
- DB Chest presses on a bench or stability ball.
- Reverse lunges with bicep curls.
- 25 lunge jumps.
- DB deadlifts.
- Push-ups (change from elevated, spider, and close grip).
- Squats and shoulder press.
- Side Plank.
- 25 Squat jumps.
- Seated rows – on a machine, with cables, or with a towel if you train at home and don’t own any workout bands.
- DB Chest Presses.
- Triceps dips.
- Reverse crunches.
- Burprees for 30 seconds.
- Squat with DB swing (one or two handed).
- Pull ups (or assisted pull ups if you need to).
- DB Chest Flies.
- Plank on a stability ball.
- Squat jumps.
- Forward lunges with diagonal two-handed DB swing.
- DB chest presses.
- One handed row on a bench (can also be done with a coffee table or other low platform).
- Stability Ball Rollout.
- Lunge jumps.
- Side squat with two-handed DB push.
- Pull ups (or chin ups).
- Backward lunges with bicep curls.
- Side plank.
- 30 seconds fast mountain climbers.
- One handed DB row.
- Squat and diagonal DB swing.
- Lunge with overhead lift.
- Lying triceps extension.
- Box jumps.
- Step up with hammer curls.
- Decline push-ups with a stability ball.
- Pull ups.
- Side plank.
- Burpees with push-ups.
- Squat and DB swing.
- Inverted rows (Australian pull ups)
- Forward lunge with bicep curls.
- Calf raises.
- Reverse crunches.
You can mix and match these circuits in your workouts to keep things interesting. You will need to repeat all 3 of the circuits in each workout several times to get a complete stimulation. Remember, you should rest only between each circuit.
Your choice of exercises may change if you workout at home or at a gym and based on the equipment you have access to. Wherever you train, there is no excuse to do a lame workout. Make each session count.
If you train like this you will burn body fat quickly. Now, all you need is a good diet program to make sure you’re eating right and you shouldn’t have any problem to get leaner quickly.
Herbs and Natural Remedies
Blood purifier, beauty enhancer
Pimples: Mix neem powder, red sandalwood powder and curd in equal proportions. Apply the paste on the affected area
Dandruff: Heat coconut oil with 100 gms.of neem powder and apply to your hair once a week.
Tulsi – Basil
Face pack: Basil (stem/leaves) juice, lime juice and honey can work wonders to your oily skin.
Pimples: Blend crushed basil with mint (pudina) juice & lime juice. Apply this on your pimples.
Amla – Gooseberry
* One of the purest forms of natural Vitamin C.
* Nourishes the hair, thickening and darkening it at the same time.
* Good tonic for the eyes.
Hair tonic: Mix henna powder, gooseberry, curd & lemon juice. Apply this to your hair and leave it for an hour. Then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
* CHAYAWANPRASH AVLEHA
* JUNIOR CHAYAWANPRASH
* AMLAKI RASAYAN
* KABZ CARE
Herbal shampoo: Make a paste of shikakai, soap nut and gooseberry powder. This would serve as an effective herbal shampoo.
Reetha – Soap nut
Excellent hair tonic
Dandruff: Mix soap nut with water and apply once a week.
Brahmi – Indian pennywort
* Relieves anxiety & tension.
* Enhances memory power.
* Effective for nervous disorders
Memory enhancer: Crush few tender leaves of Indian pennywort and express the juice after filtering with a clean cloth.Take 2 tea spoon of Brahmi juice before meal.
* Stress Guard
* SHANKHAPUSHPI SYRUP
* BRAHMI BATI
Mehendi – Henna
Excellent hair conditioner & tonic.
Herbal bleach: Make a blend of cucumber, orange & lemon juice with henna and apply
Ghritkumari – Indian Aloe Vera
* Used for liver & spleen disorder.
* Promotes & regulates menstrual period.
* Hair vitalizer.
Liver disorder: Indian aloe is a form of cactus. After peeling the hard skin, the pulp to be cored from inside. Take a leaf from the pulp with black salt and ginger juice every morning for 10 days.
Promotes hair growth /arrests hair loss: Mix Aloe Vera gel with, castor oil, olive oil and apply. Skin nourisher: Massage a blend of castor and mustard oil with aloe vera gel into your skin and wait for the magic!
* KUMARI ASAVA
* KUMARI ASAVA No – 3
* RAJAHPRAVARTANI BATI
* Best solution for blocked nose & sore throat.
* Excellent deodorant.
* Effective for acne and boils
Acne & boils: Mix eucalyptus oil with mustard oil and apply on the affected zone.
Chandan – Sandalwood
* Skin freshener.
* Soul-stirring fragrance.
Glowing skin:Make a paste of sandalwood with Fuller’s Earth (multani mitti), besan, barley flour and wheat flour and apply.
Stubborn acnes & pimples: Use sandalwood with neem and basil powder.
* CHANDAN KA TAIL
* CHANDANADI BATI
* PITTA TEA
Jyotishmati / Malkangani –
Excellent pain reliever
Relieves pain: Apply staff-tree oil on the affected area.
* SMRITISAGAR RAS
* SMRITISAGAR RAS
* Essential for acne, boils, eczema and hair loss.
* Popular deodorant
Acne,Boils, Eczema:Apply the ground and boiled leaves on the affected zone.
Feeling & looking fresh: Mix boiled leaves with your bath water and use it. You will be gifted with a glowing skin
Til – Sesame
* Promotes hair growth.
* Acts as a herbal dye.
For soft & smooth hair: Apply sesame oil and massage lightly before bath
* SAPTAGUN TAILA(OIL)
* SRI GOPAL TAILA
* Essential hair tonic
Thick, dark hair : Apply a mixture of bhringaraj, gooseberry, coconut, almond and olive .
* MAHABHRINGRAJ TAILA
Kesar – Saffron
* Effective for pimples
* Skin cleanser
For fair complexion: Blend a few strands of saffron in a cup of raw milk and let it soak overnight. Apply on to your skin the next morning and leave it for at least an hour.
Natural face-lifts are a slower way to lift the facial and neck skin to make it appear younger. It doesn’t give you results as soon as the cosmetic face-lift or cosmetic surgery does. But it has lasting results, no pain and no side effects. Most women pay heavy money and bear lots of pain to get their youthful facial skin back and they are ready to do anything for it. So natural face-lifts are quite good options for them.
As everybody knows that skin starts producing less moister or natural oils so the skin starts getting loose, saggy, full of fine lines and wrinkles as the age grows. To some extent it depends on a person’s life style also. If you have an unhealthy lifestyle, you don’t eat and sleep on time, drink alcohol, do smoke and the consumption of tea or coffee is high then definitely you are going to loose the elasticity of your skin much before you age.
To keep the skin younger and healthy you need to live a healthy life style, keep away from all such habits of drinking and smoking, drink lots of fluids at least 2 liters of water a day is must to keep the body hydrate, sleep well and work out regularly. It makes lots of difference to one’s body and skin.
But once you have already lost the toned skin and starts loosing the elasticity, natural face-lifts are not bad options. Even if they fulfill half of what these products promise you, you can be thankful to the company because beauty once lost cannot be regained. And if you get it back without any knife and stitches put on your skin, there is nothing like that.
Facial exercises to tone up the skin
Few facial exercises if done on the face and neck tactfully surely give you some relief from the saggy skin. To start tie your hair tied so that they don’t fall on your forehead or face.
- Now take a good anti aging moisturizer apply it lightly on the face with a little upward massage. Now put pressure on both the sides of your forehead with 2 fingers of each hand starting from the middle of the forehead to the end. Do this practice at least five times a day to decrease fine lines from the forehead.
- Gently massage the under eye cream or gel below the eyes, with the fingers very lightly. Starting form the corner of the eyes to the end in upward circulating motions. Your nails should be cut properly so that they don’t harm the eyes. This exercise decreases the fine lines below the eyes and reduces the puffiness. Rotate your fingers very lightly on and around the eyes with the help of the fingertips.
- Massage your cheeks in upward circular motions.
- Put pressure on the chin with the help of thumb and massage the neck upwards with the finger strokes and pressure them below the chin where the double chin appears.
- You can learn the tricks of facial pressure points with the help of a book containing the subject.
Usage of skin toners, face packs to tighten the skin and anti aging creams and lotions, which contain some anti aging substances such as collagen, make the skin appear tighter and brighter.
These collagen and cellulite containing products are available in forms of creams, lotions, injections and capsules.
An anti aging facial too is not a bad option as the massage and tightening packs reduce appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
There is on more chemical found in the body, which helps to keep the skin young, and the elasticity intact is Hyaluronic acid. It’s a natural substance found in our body in sufficient amount when we are born. But it decreases with age so does the elasticity of the skin. This substance keeps the skin tight, toned, young, and moist and wrinkle free. With age when the production of HA decreases in the body, it starts loosing its youthfulness. This is the substance which helps the skin in healing the wounds, cuts, burns, bruises and burns. It keeps the muscles and joints lubricated to function effectively. Now anti aging products containing Hyaluronic acid are hitting the markets in two forms, to be applied externally as creams and lotions or internally as pop up pills. Which has to be taken as a health supplement in your daily diet to provide moister to the inner layer of your skin.
It penetrates the skin deeply till the deeper layer the way no other skin food or cream does and reduces the age signs as saggy skin and wrinkles.
Besides trying all these things, one of the best way is to keeping your body hydrate by drinking sufficient amount of fluids to retain the natural moister and consume good healthy food containing dairy products such as milk and curd, vitamin E rich diet, carbohydrates and green veggies to keep your skin and body fit.
The average red blood cell lives for 120 days.
2. There are 2.5 trillion (give or take) of red blood cells in your body at any moment. To maintain this number, about two and a half million new ones need to be produced every second by your bone marrow.That’s like a new population of the city of Toronto every second.
3. Considering all the tissues and cells in your body, 25 million new cells are being produced each second. That’s a little less than the population of Canada – every second
! 4. A red blood cell can circumnavigate your body in under 20 seconds
. 5. Nerve Impulses travel at over 400 km/hr (25 mi/hr).
6. A sneeze generates a wind of 166 km/hr (100 mi/hr), and a cough moves out at 100 km/hr (60 mi/hr).
7. Our heart beats around 100,00 times every day.
8. Our blood is on a 60,000-mile journey.
9. Our eyes can distinguish up to one million colour surfaces and take in more information than the largest telescope known to man.
10. Our lungs inhale over two million litres of air every day, without even thinking. They are large enough to cover a tennis court.
11. We give birth to 100 billion red cells every day.
12. When we touch something, we send a message to our brain at 124 mph
13. We exercise at least 30 muscles when we smile.
14. We are about 70 percent water.
15. We make one litre of saliva a day.
16. Our nose is our personal air-conditioning system: it warms cold air, cools hot air and filters impurities.
17. In one square inch of our hand we have nine feet of blood vessels, 600 pain sensors, 9000 nerve endings, 36 heat sensors and 75 pressure sensors.
18. We have copper, zinc, cobalt, calcium, manganese, phosphates, nickel and silicon in our bodies.
19. It is believed that the main purpose of eyebrows is to keep sweat out of the eyes.
20. A person can expect to breathe in about 40 pounds of dust over
keep your immune system strong all year round with these tips. (Getty Images)
Keeping a strong immune system is essential for avoiding common colds during the winter months. Even though the strength of your immune system is partly determined by genetics and childhood exposures, much of it also depends on your nutrition.
Read this article to find out some of the best ways you can keep your immune system strong throughout winter and all year round!
1. Take extra vitamin C
Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, has long been known as a nutrient that is especially helpful for the immune system.
Vitamin C can help stimulate the immune system to fight off foreign cells that invade the body. Additionally, some research has shown that vitamin C supplementation can actually increase the number of antibodies, which play a crucial role in protecting your body from bacteria and viruses.
It is recommended that adult men consume at least 90 mg of vitamin C per day, and adult women should get at least 75 mg per day. Mega doses ranging between 250 mg and 1 gram of vitamin C per day are sometimes used to help decrease the incidence and duration of colds.
Citrus fruits and potatoes are both loaded with vitamin C. Also, many fruit juices contain 100% of your daily vitamin C needs.
2. Get enough zinc
Zinc is a micronutrient that is important for proper functioning of the immune system. Research is mixed on whether or not extra zinc supplementation can decrease your chances of getting sick, but health care professionals do know that without good overall zinc status, your immune system will weaken.
Zinc is found in a variety of foods, so most people do not need to worry about getting enough zinc in their diet. However, if you are a strict vegetarian or vegan, you may need extra zinc supplementation. This is because the zinc that is found in plant foods is often not absorbed properly by humans because there are other molecules in the food that block absorption.
It is recommended that adult males consume 11 mg of zinc per day, and adult females should get 8 mg of zinc per day.
3. Take Echinacea when you feel unwell
Doctors do not recommend long-term use of the herb Echinacea, however numerous research studies have shown that when taken right after the first symptoms of a cold appear, it can be effective in reducing the duration and severity of the cold.
Because it is not a nutrient, there are no guidelines on how much Echinacea to take. So, make sure you find a reputable company and follow their guidelines. Usually, taking 1 or 2 pills per day during the first few days of a cold/sickness is recommended.
4. Eat a well-balanced diet
Besides the specific vitamins, minerals and herbs that have been mentioned, make sure that you are consuming a healthy overall diet. Having a balanced diet that contains all of the nutrients your body needs will help ensure that your body, and immune system, is functioning optimally.
Try to incorporate lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy into your diet. These foods will provide you with plenty of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which are especially helpful for the immune system.
Remember, when buying any sort of vitamin, mineral or herbal supplements, you must do your research. Since supplements are generally not regulated, you have to make sure that you are buying from a reputable company. Look online for user reviews and other information about the company.
By registered dietitian Arielle Kamps, M.S., R.D, L.D. Via HealthMatters.sg, a Singapore Health and Fitness blog that aims to help you lose weight, keep fit, and live healthy. Click here to get our free guide “Eat Your Way to Health — Secrets of a Healthy Diet”.